Thursday, January 31, 2013

Soaps & Bon Bons


Here's a little secret stay at home moms do not want you to know: our days are indeed full of bon bons and soaps!

This afternoon, shortly after putting Shelby down for her nap, I responded to her calls of, “Mommy, I'm stuck!” to find her indeed stuck between the easy chair and her dresser. When I entered her room, I quickly realized my afternoon was taking a turn for the worse when I stepped in poop. It's never a good sign when you step in poop in a toddler's room. A quick glance around the room told me all I needed to know: to the right of my foot was the diaper, and all over the carpet were little brown footprints. As I rescued Shelby she proudly exclaimed, “Mommy, I took off my diaper and put on a pull-up.” Yes, you did, Shelby. Yes, you did.

And now for the first round of soaps. The poor girl had poop on both hands and one foot. I quickly put Shelby in the tub and soaped her off.

Soaps round two: after hosing Shelby down, I went down into the basement to get the big carpet shampooer from our days as dog owners. Glad Dave convinced me to hang on to that thing. Of course, this is when Matilda woke up, so I tucked her into the Ergo and got to shampooing carpets...all while Matilda nursed in the Ergo. I was supermom. Meanwhile, I had told Shelby to just hang out by her naked self in the bathroom (which is connected to her room so I could see/hear her all the while).

While I cleaned floors and nursed, Shelby shouted updates of her going-ons: “Mommy, I am peeing on the potty! Mommy, I am wiping myself!” Good things, right? Well, when I finally finished the carpets (after only 33 minutes of soaping), I went into the bathroom and discovered about half a roll of toilet paper in the toilet and Shelby proudly holding one more sheet in her hand and saying, “Mommy, this sheet is for you when you go potty.”

After unclogging that toilet, I decided to sit down and rock fussy little Matilda. Meanwhile, Shelby was running back and forth across our house. And then I hear the telling “Oh no!” coming from the bathroom. “Mommy, I pee-peed on the floor!” More soaps... after all this, I was definitely ready for some bon bons! All I could dig up were some Hershey Kisses, but close enough, right?

Bon bons and soaps. There you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment